Saturday, August 29, 2009

Unexpecting

I've given up on expecting Christians to act any differently than non-Christians.

2 comments:

Lane Eliezer said...

That's sad; maybe you should convert to Judaism! I still have that faith in my fellow Hebrews, but at times I can be sorely disappointed.

Also, there being a huge amount of Christians in America (and the world) it's very optimistic to have a high expectation of all of them; especially since the definition of a practicing Christian can have many different guises, just like being Jewish.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement Lane. Yeah, I agree that "practicing Christian" (or Jew or whatever other religion) is really slippery in America where it's so easy to be religious.

And I also feel like some confusion may have to do with the fact that in general religions (at least claim to) improve people from what they would be otherwise. So really the comparison should not be Joe Christian vs. Harry not-Christian, but between Joe Christian and Joe not-Christian.

Nevertheless I am haunted by John 13:34-35 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." And to be honest, man, I don't really see it most of the time.

- Charlie