Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Roller Coaster

If addictions, sins, and distractions numb us to emotional highs and lows, maybe it's normal that as we move away from these things we can feel at times like we are on an emotional roller coaster. The world truly is dark and broken, and if our hearts aren't breaking then we aren't seeing it for what it really is. But it's also freaking awesome, and there should be times (and maybe even seasons) in life where our heads spring off the pillow in the morning because we are so excited to live in this awesome world. The more we see the world as it actually is, without the deadening filter of things like addiction, it should horrify and enchant us.

I think I've spent a lot of my life wanting to be emotionally steady -- never too happy and never too bummed out. But I'm beginning to think that's not the best way to live. Maybe a better goal (or perhaps a more accurate definition of being "emotionally steady") is to try to see the world clearly and strive to make sure my emotions are appropriate to what I see.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've noticed this about myself recently, but haven't thought about it exactly how you have. I like your perspective on it though. I'm consistently seeking a state of stability and non-crazy emotions, trying to avoid all the low emotions while simultaneously and unintentionally shutting myself off to the highs and positives. It's a strange state fo numb living that doesn't make sense and that I'm trying to get away from.