Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Things I've Learned About Myself that Surprise Me

Things I've learned about myself that have surprised me.

- I have usually considered myself to be a bit of a homebody. Even on family vacations, I would often rather stay in the hotel instead of going out and doing something. However, right now I am really really excited about going out and seeing things in Beijing. The last thing I want to do right now is lay around in my dorm.

- I love shopping, I realized. Back in the Atates, I thought shopping (particularly for clothes) was really silly and materialistic and I had no desire to do it. Here, however, I have found myself totally pumped about shopping for clothes. The difference is that I can afford designer clothes here that are a tenth of the price they would be in America. I am truly eager to buy clothes here whose brands I had never even heard of a week ago. No more will I be able to sit smugly and listen to people talk about shopping and think to myself, "I'm glad I'm not like those people." I'm just as "materialistic" as everybody else -- particularly (it would seem) when I can actually afford nice clothes. And I guess a lot of that isn't even bad.

- I'm quiet in large groups of people. I've known that I lean towards introversion, but it has been startling to me how quiet I am around big groups of people on this trip.

- I'm much bolder in speaking Chinese to Chinese speakers than I had thought I was going to be, and have less reluctance to try my hand at talking to native Beijingers than I had anticipated.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you've realized that shopping for really cheap clothes is enjoyable.
Sean

Anonymous said...

hooray for charlie in china.

we miss you over here in boring old obese america.

Anonymous said...

HA! I knew there was nothing particularly genderizing about shopping for clothes. I've always wished it was socially accepted for guys to enjoy clothes shopping in USA. I hope my friends don't think I'm weird now... (ah, America)

Casey