Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Sticker

I really like bumper stickers that don't communicate a clear message. They are very rare. In fact most bumper stickers are expressly designed to be clear, brief, and blunt. But there are outliers and mistakes. I used to have one that said "I now inform you that you are too far from reality." The print was a bit small and it was fun seeing people in my rear view mirror scoot forward at a light to squint at it, and then just look confused.

I saw one today that said "I AM GOD." I still don't get whether it was supposed to be quoting (and therefore affirming) the Bible or asserting (metaphorically? sarcastically?) that the driver was an omnipotent diety. Or maybe it referred to the car itself?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen a lot of the "If anything can go well, it will" sticker. Any insight on that one?
So if something goes wrong, there was never any way it could have gone well?
I guess it could speak somewhat of the sovereignty of god, and how all things work together for the good of his people. But based on the places I have seen the sticker- I doubt that's the meaning.

CK said...

I typically assume people that have this sticker are total morons and I'm generally so surprised they have been able to feed themselves long enough to be of car driving age that I don't really think about how their vehicle decorating decisions could possibly make sense.